Ideas for incorporating mindful education in the classroom:
1. Build a strong evidence base.
Dr. Mark Greenberg
2. Invest in your personal practice. Effective mindful education begins with your internal work.
3. Work to understand developmentally appropriate practices.
4. Integrate mindfulness into the existing curriculum and flow of your day. Transitions are a great time to SDB! Stop, Drop (in) and Breathe. 3-5 deep, intentional breaths to reset. The most effective implementation of mindful education is in routine practice.
5. Engage teachers and parents.
5 Things That Need to Happen to Integrate Mindfulness in Education
Online training for teachers:
Links to other mindful organizations:
What apps can I use for myself? My classroom?
Most highly suggested: Stop, Breathe, and Think
10% Happier (Best for adults)
Headspace (has a mood check-in and responds with meditation according to state of mind); adult and children options.
I’d love to learn about how this can reduce my stress:
Palouse Mindfulness – this is a FREE Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction online course.
Here’s a place with a month of guided meditations for free: Basics of Mindfulness
Recommended books (for adults):
A More Beautiful Question, Warren Berger
The Upside of Stress, Kelly McGonigal
The Way of Mindful Education, Daniel Rechtschaffen
Full Catastrophe Living, Jon Kabat Zinn
Happy Teachers Change the World, Thich Nhat Hahn
No Mud, No Lotus, Thich Nhat Hahn